Easter is a ways out and I’m already drowning in candy. I don’t really want to talk about how many Reese eggs I’ve eaten already, so let’s move right on to this fun snack. 😉 I have been trying to think of something fun, festive and creative that is simple, but isn’t covered in chocolate, and I thought these “carrots” were perfect! These are definitely going on my brunch table this year. You could use any orange and green fruits (cantaloupe, oranges, mango, kiwi, honeydew, etc.) be creative! I’ll share with you below what I used, but feel free to change it up.
Also… beware if you are doing this with a toddler. I’d love to say these photos are posed, but he was tearing these babies apart and chowing them down faster than I could get them photographed. Do I even need to say they are “toddler approved?” TOTALLY. Just be careful with the toothpicks!
Here’s what you need…
- Honeydew melon
- Sharp knife
Here’s what you do…
- Slice orange in half, then slice each half into thin slices.
- Cut slices in half (so they form a half moon shape)
- Cut off the rind and rounded corner to form a triangle.
- Insert toothpick into the top of the rind and set aside (I used half toothpicks)
- Cut honeydew melon into thin slices and remove rind.
- Slice into pieces that are 1/2 – 1/4 the size of your carrot top.
- Cut out two triangle shaped pieces to form “carrot top greens”
- Slide onto toothpick rind
I made a quick slideshow for you, I think it’s easier to understand once you see it in action…
Music: Jack Johnson, Upside Down, Curious George Soundtrack